Friday, May 4, 2012

The Day after a "Day"

I am attending a Community in Schools banquet with my wife tonight! My role is the trophy husband (not that much of a "trophy" but always wanted to say that) and to show up at her side in a few minutes to greet people and such (it is an 80's theme banquet and people are wearing old letter jackets. No, I am not wearing mine but did think twice about feathering my remaining hairs).  Here is the view from my cyber cafe' perch in downtown Fort Worth.


I was simply going to come up here and watch ESPN, but the bustle below inspired me to share a few thoughts on the day after a "Day."  The day after a "day" is the day following the day a major event occurs in your life (I hope you followed that).  The major event could be a great accomplishment (conversion, marriage, birth of a child, accomplishment at work, school, sports, etc.) or it could be a great loss and/or disappointment (death of a loved one, the divorce is finalized, disappointment in a child's conduct, your efforts at works, school, sports, etc. are not quit good enough).  The day after a day is often a very interesting day to navigate.  Why?  Simply put, something intense has happened (good or bad) and the majority of the people you pass are going about their business as if nothing happened.  Sure, if the "day" is big enough, people notice; but eventually, the unavoidable day after the day occurs.

A championship is won and the celebration begins.  Eventually, you have to get ready for the next season.
A death of a loved one occurs and the grieving process begins.  Eventually, you have to learn how to live life without them.
A promotion is awarded you at work gaining more responsibility and pay. Eventually, you have to adjust the balance of your life to the greater expectations.
A significant "day" occurs in your life.  Eventually, you realize the day is not as significant to others who pass you on the street.

The day after a day is indeed an interesting day to navigate.  If you are facing one of those "days," let me offer three practical navigation suggestions:

  • What you are experiencing is a good thing.  It is a natural and unavoidable process of returning to a normal balance of life. The "day," or should I say series of days, have to be lived in order to heal from a loss or grow from an accomplishment. 
  • Remember that our Father in Heaven never forgets the "day." It is a fact, even though it may be impossible for you, the attention focused on your day will pass, at some point, from the remembrance of others--it is normal.  Even so, our Father never forgets.  I am sure that's why Paul pleads with the Philippians to take their cares and burdens to the Lord and receive the peace He alone can give (Phil. 4).  
  • Help others remember and celebrate their "day(s)." Yes, even if you are having that day after the day experience help others navigate their interesting day (sorry about the confusing sentence again--it's unavoidable).  Help others celebrate and grieve significant days through a phone call, text, e-mail message, card (old fashion I know), prayer, etc.  As a recipient of such loving remembrance, I can tell you it means a great deal.  The significance of sharing celebration and grief with others is at the core of how Paul told the Corinthians to live as a community of believers         (I Cor. 12). 
Well, my time is up and I have to go and begin my trophy husband duties.  Yes, I just saw a letter jacket walk by.  

No comments:

Post a Comment